Expecting the Worst and First Transaction for the Year

Portfolio Returns

As of 13th March 2020
Since Inception (Including Dividends)
Total Portfolio Unrealized Gain (As of 29 Feb 2020): $52,139.77
Total Portfolio Unrealized Gain (As of 13 Mar 2020): $6,586.50
Total Portfolio Realized Gain(As of 29 Feb 2020): $104,366.58

Portfolio Value

Portfolio Value as of 29th Feb 2020 (excluding Cash and SSBs)

Friday the 13th was not a good day for the stock market after DJI fell 10% the night before. When the Singapore market opened, panic selling took over and STI fell to a low to around 2500 points. As usual, DBS Vickers faces heavy traffic and I wasn't able to login. The 'good' thing about this is that it prevents people from panic selling. I was only able to login after 10 am but the website was still laggy, but I finally managed to place my order, to BUY. 

I decided to do my first purchase of the year, after halting for around 4 months, as the situation has worsened. WHO has declared COVID-19 a pandemic and the oil price crashes. The outbreak in US and Europe is going out of control and the global economy is grinding to a halt. The US stock market circuit breaker tripped twice in a week and things could get worse in the next few months. As fear and panic spread, I think it is the time to start accumulating. 

At the end of the day, I managed to buy a REIT and a Consumer Staples stock. I know that the banks are at a very attractive price and many people are buying it, but I am putting banks on hold first. There could be a possibility that Fed will further cut rates and this will cause downward pressure on the price of banks. The downtrend will still continue for sometime and I think that I will accumulate banks at a later stage.

I would normally take a snapshot of my portfolio performance at the end of the month but this is not a normal week. This week, I witnessed the biggest crash in the stock market since I started investing. Therefore, I decided to take another snapshot of my portfolio on Friday evening to see how badly my portfolio was impacted.

More than $50k unrealized gain was wiped off my portfolio and I am expecting that I will go into unrealized lost in the next few weeks. I am prepared to hold on to the stocks and continue to collect dividends to tide out this crisis.


InvestingNote Profile: @SingularityTruth
Facebook Page: @SingularityTruth

Comments

Popular Posts