Portfolio 2020 Rewind

 

As we come to the last week of 2020, I would like to conclude my review of my portfolio with this last post for 2020. 

This year, things started off quite well with bullish sentiments in January. Although the coronavirus was already reported in China, no one paid much attention to it not knowing the seriousness and impact it would have on the world. I recalled everyone was still celebrating the New Year followed by the Lunar New Year. It was until February that things started to get out of control. 

Things took a drastic change in March and the markets crashed. The DOW market circuit breaker tripped 3 times in March, but I did not have the courage to buy the dip in the US markets. I did however start buying into the local stocks starting with defensive stock. One of the best purchases for the year will be Sheng Siong which I have bought in March. From then onwards, I have continued adding to my portfolio almost on a monthly basis. These accumulations have paid off as Singapore is gradually on the recovery after controlling the spread of virus within the community. 


On hindsight, the biggest regret for this year in investment will be not entering the US markets earlier. I only entered the US markets in end-July, thanks to the new entry of Tiger Brokers. This is when I formed my satellite portfolio consisting of US ETFs. If not for Tiger Brokers attractive promotions and cheap commission fees, I would have procrastinated and not touch any US stocks. Although I entered at the all-time high, the satellite portfolio has currently outperformed my core portfolio. The US markets have staged the biggest rebound I have seen since March.

This may not be a good year due to the pandemic but from the investment perspective, I would have to say it was a pretty good year. As the year comes to an end, my target for next year is pretty much the same for every year, which is to continue increasing my portfolio size and dividend collections. Lastly, I would like to put a little more emphasis on my satellite portfolio and increase the allocation next year.

Wishing everyone happy holidays, Merry Christmas and a happy new year! 


InvestingNote Profile: @SingularityTruth
Facebook Page: @SingularityTruth

Comments

Popular Posts